Friday, April 10, 2009

The Moral Minority

Artist Statement:

There are many stigmas attached to being a skateboarder. Skateboarders have a notorious reputation for being rebellious, disrespectful, anti-authority, “stoners,” vandals, lazy, punks, and even criminals.

More than half of my life I have considered myself a skater, and have claimed that title proudly. Skateboarding has been a positive force in my life, and it is the reason I picked up a camera in the first place. Skateboarding instills creativity, self-expression, and individuality. It cultivates and embraces originality.

With the intent of shedding a new light on the public’s perception of skaters, I have photographed individuals that don’t fit the perceived mold. These people are upstanding members of the community, and contribute to society in a positive way. From artists to CEOs, educators to photographers—we all have an undying passion for skateboarding and the joy it brings to our lives.


Weston Colton













As long as I can push, I'll ride a skateboard.

23 comments:

Playa!!! said...

WES! Nice job -- great graphic shots too. Especially like the skateboarding shot on that last one, the job shot on the first one, and the skateboarding shot on the second one.

Donnie and Kristi said...

Wow! You never cease to amaze me! What's Andrew, a lumberjack? Bwahahahaha!

Slade said...

Very nice. Bringing the sweetness with the skating photos. Very cool. I *might* be able to come tonight. I have to drop off some work in Springville, so I could possibly swing by.

Vocalize Silence said...

Weston, its perfect. The pictures are amazing, im gonna try and swing by tonight.-Joe Stewart

Blake said...

Weston! I like this a lot! It's all very well done - the text the photos the concept... I love the pushing photo like Brittan's of Swank?

the coltons said...

proud of ya!

you definitely need to include yourself.

xoxo

Alex Cottle said...

That's pretty sick, man. Too bad we had to take that pic in my "home office". I'd feel a lot more important taking it in front of all the huge hospital buildings I work at now. haha. good stuff.

B said...

Great photos Weston .. shocked not to see you on there.

James Atkin said...

What a rad idea, yeah weston !! goood to see what the homies are up to too!

Cynthia said...

Very nice! You are walking talent Weston!

Weston Colton Photo said...

Yeah, I hope most skaters realize the homage to Brittan's TWS cove of Tod Swank pushing. I'm not trying to plagiarize him... Brittain's photo is the epitome of skateboarding in my opinion.

Burgertime said...

Inspiring.
Proud to be a member of a too-often generalized tribe.

Thanks.

Amanda Lopez said...

wow! these are rad!

Cory said...

Nice Work!

Chaunté Vaughn said...

great work weston!

Bigt said...

Nice. Wish I could have made it last night.

Anonymous said...

such a rad concept.

Unknown said...

Looks good Weston. Wish I could have contributed something better. Looks like everyone is stoked on the project!

matt winskowski said...

the alex cottie one is sick! just because it is the magical pushing photo.

great job weston.

FILMBOT said...

Amazing work mate.

fauxsure said...

I like how in that photo of McKay he's wearing Vans slip-ons. These photos are rad (and I'm not just saying that to be narcissistic)!

Anonymous said...

Weston, these are all great. Way to show that skateboarding is a passion and not a lifestyle. We all have to make money somehow, but we all have to have fun sometimes too.

Cottle's said...

Very impressive concept Weston, I agree that you should include yourself though. You skate with the best! So proud of all you have accomplished. Pam